Monday, April 9, 2012

General Conference

So I am only a week late!!  Oh well!  That is how my life is functioning lately.  Two Sundays ago, we were actually LATE for church.  I don't remember the last time I was late for church.  This Sunday we walked in just as they were beginning the opening hymn.  I think I am going to have to do some adjusting!!  But back to Conference......

Another revelation filled weekend!  I LOVE IT!!!  Why?

Because sometime several years ago, I learned somewhere (sorry I cannot adequately acknowledge the source) that if I came to General Conference with questions and prayed about them, I would receive answers.  One year I decided to try it out.  I received answers then and I have ever since.  I LOVE IT!!  Personal revelation for personal questions!

I specifically LOVED this quote:

"One of the great lessons that each of us needs to learn is to ask. Why does the Lord want us to pray to Him and to ask? Because that is how revelation is received."
Elder Richard G. Scott

I have to tell you, asking questions is hard for me.  It is not an easy process.  I am not quite sure why I struggle with it, but asking is a big deal to me.

And I LOVED this insert from the Ensign:

Focusing on Conference

In addition to studying past conference addresses, consider these ideas to help you learn from the current conference:
  • Pray and fast to receive answers to your prayers through the words of the speakers.
  • Approach conference with specific questions in mind.
  • Complete all chores, shopping, and other errands before conference so you can focus on listening.
  • Get good rest the nights before conference so your mind will be ready to receive inspiration.
  • Take notes of the impressions, promptings, and insights you receive.


    Sometimes my questions are completely temporal---one time our Suburban was dead.  It was going to cost as much to fix it as it would to purchase another car---so my question was:  What do I do with the Suburban??  (Push it into the bay???  was my personal thought.)  Other questions are more spiritual in nature:  How do I help this child desire to serve a mission or strengthen his testimony or learn this principle?

    One time (and I literally fell off of my chair) I had read a phrase in the scriptures.  I couldn't figure out what it meant.  I researched it, looked in the topical guide and the Bible dictionary, read the footnotes.  I just could not figure it out!  So I wrote it down as one of my conference questions.  I kid you not----a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, quoted my scripture and then said, "this means...."  I was TOTALLY stoked!!  Usually I just have impressions from the Spirit.  But word for word????  Totally cool!!

    What impressions and thoughts did you have over the Conference weekend??  What are you going to do so that you implement the revelation you received??

    I have written mine down in a special journal.  Now I have to go back and reread them and pull them out periodically so that I do what I have been instructed......remember....never delay a prompting!! :-)  Hope you had a terrific Easter weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!! I read them all and I know how to use the delete button. Please keep it kind.