Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Speedy's Gnarly Finger!!

Well--guess where we were two nights ago??  Think hard.....maybe the title gives you a clue.....

Yep!  The ER!!  My lovely sweet fifth son wanted to sew.  We were just beginning to use the sewing machine.  He was working with some scrap material and I had given him basic guidelines (so I thought).  I needed to go and pick up Scuff from school and  was going to leave Speedy sewing.  So as I was walking out the door, I thought, well, what is the worst thing that could happen to him?  I guess he might sew his finger.........'Speedy, what are you going to do if you sew that through your finger?'

Speedy, "I don't know?"

Carin, "Well, at least call me on the cell phone."

I wasn't four blocks from the house when Sport calls and says, "Speedy just sewed through his finger!!"  And I can hear Speedy wailing in the background.  I get home and Speedy is stuck in the machine, which is still turned on, light and all.  I unplug the machine.  Loosen the needle, lift up the pressure foot, cut the bobbin thread.  Speedy is indeed stuck in the machine.  I try to wiggle him loose which causes more pain, realize he is still attached to the top thread, cut that.  Oh my goodness.  The needle is completely through his finger.  Wow!

I call the pediatrician.  It isn't bleeding much because the needle is in it!!  They say bring him in right now.  OK.  I call Drew and tell him he has to pick up Scuff because we are going to the Dr.  Drew tells me that I should just pull it out........Don't you remember first aid???  You don't remove protruding objects!!

The Dr. takes one look at him and says, you are going to have to take that to the ER.  We don't have the tools here for removal and we don't have enough sedating power, and I'm worried he went right through the bone.

We head to the ER where we wait 4 1/2 hours to see the dr. there.  They took x-rays, gave him an antibiotic, and pain meds.  He did stick it through the bone.  Then when we were finally being seen, they numbed up his hand good, had a nurse hold up a towel so Speedy couldn't see what was going on, and yanked it out with the pliers!!

I'm not quite sure why Speedy always picks the busiest day in ER to have trauma....last time I took him to ER we waited for five hours to have someone stitch up his head.  By the time they looked at us, his head had healed over and they said he didn't need stitches.  Well now he has a scar in his head where no hair grows!

Anyway, I thought you'd like to see the pictures...are you ready???  X-rays too??  Don't scroll down any further if you don't want to look.




OK I cannot figure out how to transfer the x-rays to a photo document.  Right now they are in a word document.....I wonder if I can just copy and paste....I'll try that.....hang on.......

Alright, I still can't figure it out.  Sorry, no x-rays on the blog.  (I'll email it to those of you medical people who really want to see it!!)

Speedy is doing much, much better.  Recovery so far is going well.  Sewing lessons are on hold, but when they resume, there will be no sewing without mother right there!

3 comments:

  1. LOL. Poor Daniel. I wish that we were there. How in the world did he manage to do it????

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my goodness!!!!! that is impressive, in a sick way!!!! poor guy. i bet he is LOVING telling that story!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son did the same thing. But he did it after lights out while I was downstairs. He said he was tired of waiting for me to teach him. He was 5.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!! I read them all and I know how to use the delete button. Please keep it kind.