Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Cream of Wild Rice Soup

I haven't posted anything Table Talk related in a while.  Here is one of my very favorite soups.  I always think of it as Turkey and Wild Rice Soup, because I put my leftover turkey in it after Thanksgiving.  Imagine my surprise when I was reading the recipe today and realized Turkey and Wild Rice Soup is the name of the recipe above it in the cookbook.  The recipe actually calls for chicken!  Nonetheless, Sport asked for turkey this week in our menu planning and I decided to make this soup with the leftovers.  It always reminds me of fall.....I LOVE the fall! :-)

1 large onion, chopped
1 large carrot, grated
1 celery rib, chopped 
(I always double the carrots and celery)
1/4 C. Butter or margarine
1/2 C. flour
8 C. chicken broth (I use 6)
3 C. cooked wild rice (mine is the mix, with wheat berries, wild rice, and brown rice)
1 C cubed chicken (I usually use turkey)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 C. evaporated milk (I use soy milk)
1/4 C. snipped chives (I use parsley, 1/8 C)

In a large saucepan, saute the onion, carrot, and celery in butter until tender.  Stir in flour until blended.  Gradually add broth.  Stir in  rice, chicken, salt, pepper.  Bring to a boil over medium heat or until thickened.  Stir in milk; cook 3-5 minutes longer.  Garnish with chives.
Serves 10.

Serve with a loaf of warm bread and a salad (my kids liked grilled cheese too :-)
Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!! I read them all and I know how to use the delete button. Please keep it kind.